Detoxify your Body Post-Holiday with Ray’s Post-Vacay Detox Soup
I just got back from an INCREDIBLE Mexican vacation yesterday. Ten days of tacos, margaritas and living my best life later, I know that my body is probably ready for some detoxing.
Typically, when we’re on vacation, we allow ourselves to completely let go of our typical routine. Our standard diet, exercise, and minimal consumption of alcohol may take the backseat while we give ourselves permission to indulge. And hey – that balance is really important. Knowing what you need and how you might need to decompress is an important part of holistic well-being. And this isn’t to say that you should drink yourself under-the-table or gorge yourself for 24-hours – but making a conscious effort to TREAT yourself actually is an important part of the human/balance equation.
That said, whenever I get back from a vacation, I know my body is ready for some healthy nutrients. For those of you who have just returned from a trip (or have operated in vacation-mode even while you’re at home!), I’m sure you’re excited to learn that I’ve got a super DELICIOUS, filling, gluten-free, vegetarian and EASY TO MAKE recipe just for you!
This soup detox will make your liver, metabolism and physical body feel as revitalized as your soul post-vacay.
So how does this soup actually help your system? Well, the recipe is packed with:
- Sulfur: Helps your liver to break down bodily toxins and enable them to become more easily expelled;
- Diuretic properties: Helps you to rid of excess liquids including the toxins that may be looming in your system;
- Vitamins including C, B6, K & A + folate and potassium: Helps to reduce inflammation, increase immune system, and boost cardiovascular health;
- Glutathione: A protein that helps to detoxify the liver;
- Fiber: Keeps you feeling full and contributes to positive gut health; and
- Phytonutrients: Powerful antioxidants that prevent cellular damage.
- 1 head of organic cabbage, chopped
- 9-10 stalks of organic celery, chopped
- 25 organic baby carrots, chopped
- 1 organic white onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups of organic chicken broth**
- 2 14 oz cans of organic diced tomatoes**
- 2 tablespoon oregano**
- 8 leaves fresh basil, diced
- 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes (optional)
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper (to taste)
- ½ teaspoon of salt (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Trader Joe’s 21 Seasoning Salute** (to taste)
**I’ve linked some of the harder-to-find ingredients above. Please note that I may benefit from your usage of these links!
Prep time: 20 minutes // Total cooking time: 55 minutes
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add garlic and onions. Stir for two minutes to prevent sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Add celery, carrots, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Sauté until veggies are slightly tender.
- Stir in tomatoes and cabbage.
- Pour in chicken broth.
- Add fresh basil.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook until cabbage is tender (about 25-30 minutes).
- Stir in additional red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper (to taste).
- Taste broth and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Sprinkle with 21 Seasoning Salute, additional chopped basil and/or oregano.