Stay on Track But Kick Your Cravings With My Delicious, Keto-Friendly, Low-Carb, Thin-Crust SUPERFOOD Pizza
I’m a firm believer that eating healthy doesn’t mean swearing off foods that you used to love. That said, I also care a ton about what I put in my body and am very sensitive to how gut health plays a role in mental health and holistic wellness. And for those of you who think this is a silly thought, let me remind you: the gut has neurons just as the brain does, so your gut can literally be considered a second brain! Consider THAT the next time you decide to gorge yourself on cake and then feel like crap the next day. Your body (quite literally) may not know what to think.
As the carb-lover that I am, I’ve made it my personal mission to search for and craft recipes that satisfy my cravings while still giving my body the nutrients it needs. Enter my months of fine-tuning what I now present to you: my Keto-Friendly, Low-Carb, Thin-Crust SUPERFOOD Pizza.
Even my non-Keto, pizza-loving boyfriend will tell you that this pizza is actually REALLY good. Like surprisingly good. Especially for those of you who are like me and are occasionally tempted to ravage an entire pizza alone when no one is looking just because you miss your dear carb-o-licious friend.
My Keto-Friendly, Low-Carb, Thin-Crust SUPERFOOD Pizza is a super delicious way to continue staying on track with your fitness and health goals while still giving you some of that delicious cheesy goodness you’ve been craving.
So how in the world could PIZZA be good for you? Well, this recipe is packed with:
- Collagen: It’ll make your skin stronger (AKA fewer wrinkles!), decrease joint paint, strengthen your hair and nails, and improve your gut health.. for starters.
- Flaxseed: Great source of fiber to improve digestive health, as well as omega-3s for heart health
- Almonds: Healthy fats, high in Vitamin E and magnesium that helps to lower blood pressure and has anti-inflammatory benefits
- Psyllium Husk: An insane soluble fiber that can aid in digestion, lowering cholesterol and weight loss. It is a pre-biotic that provides nourishment to your intestinal bacteria to help them grow.
- Oregano: Antibacterial and anti-fungal properties that help to protect the immune system and decrease inflammation
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1 tbs flaxseed
- 1 tbs collagen
- 2 tbs psyllium husk powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbs egg whites (from carton), or 1 separated egg white
- 2 heaping tbs sour cream
- ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup tomato sauce *if keto, just make sure yours is low carb with no sugar
- Olive oil (for brushing the crust)
- 2/3 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp oregano
- any pizza toppings of your choosing* (crushed red pepper, pepperoni, mushrooms, broccoli, spinach, artichokes, etc) – *note that many of these veggies should be sautéed for a few minutes before topping pizza
Prep time: 20 minutes // Total Cooking Time: ~20-25 minutes
- Preheat oven to 425°
- In a large bowl combine: 1/3 cup almond flour and 2 tbsp psyllium husk powder. Mix together and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine: 1 egg, 2 tbsp egg whites (or 1 separated egg white), 2 tbsp sour cream, and ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese. Mix together thoroughly.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix together well. It will be a big goopy mess, but don’t worry about that.
- Lay out a cookie sheet and place one large sheet of parchment paper on top. Place the dough on top of the parchment paper and then place the second sheet of parchment paper on top of the dough. Using a rolling pin if you’re fancy (or any round glass), roll out the dough into a thin crust. Do not remove the top sheet of parchment paper.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes WITH BOTH sheets of parchment paper. Remove from oven. Peel off top sheet of parchment paper.
- Remove pizza from oven and pizza spread sauce over crust. Brush the edges of the pizza crust with olive oil. Top the sauce with cheese and whatever additional toppings you’d like.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes or until cheese is melted. Enjoy.
Did you try this for yourself? I’d love to hear about it! Let me know what you thought! : )